Dangerous Lead Paint
Lead paint has been around for many, many years. The federal government finally came out in 1978 saying it was dangerous and needed to stop being used immediately. Many homes and businesses before 1978, specifically the 1960s, used lead based paint in all areas of their home without knowing how dangerous it could be. When you call SERVPRO of Walker County, we the proper training to test and deal with lead based paint. The most dangerous form of lead based paint is when someone is stripping or sanding it off of a surface. When they do this, the particles and dust from the paint float into the air and then can be breathed in by someone and be very harmful to their body. Here are some tips to help keep you and your family safe if you live in a home or work in building that was built before 1978.
- Keep children from putting their hands and toys in their mouth after it has touched a surface affected by lead based paint. Keep your hands and your children’s hands washed as much as possible after touching an affected area.
- If you notice that a piece of drywall or paint has come off of the wall, clean it and dispose of it immediately. Wash your hands afterwards, too.